Our Geography curriculum aims to give every child the knowledge and skills needed to enable them to collect, analyse and communicate about the people and the world around them in a variety of ways. Through our knowledge rich curriculum, pupils will learn about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, and will deepen their understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes and geographical fieldwork techniques.
Through engaging lessons and opportunities, we aim to inspire all pupils to develop a curiosity and appreciation about the area, country, city and world they live in. We expect our children to be inquisitive and to question the information they are presented with in order to develop their own understanding.
We want our children to develop their understanding of themselves as individuals within their community and recognize their place as global citizens in a large and ever – changing world. We learn about the ideas of cultural diversity and sustainability by exploring impact of human behavior on both the Earth and its people. They also learn and debate on climate change and ways to reduce it, this is also part of the geography curriculum.
• Inspire pupils’ curiosity and fascination about the world and its people
• Teaching that equips pupils with knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments
• Understanding of the Earth’s Key physical and human processes, and the formation and use of landscapes and environments
• Knowledge of how the Earth’s features, at different scales, are shaped, interconnected and change over time
• Experiences that enable pupils to develop their own geographical skills, including fieldwork opportunities and locality studies
• Consideration for the moral, social and cultural aspects of their studies in geography, and to encourage a sense of awe and wonder about the world.
• Foster a sense of responsibility for our environment and to think about the quality and vulnerability of our environment and the contribution they should make towards its sustainability.
Our Geography curriculum, which is focused on being a learned and responsible citizen, is reinforced through our whole school approach to helping improve our country, our weekly topic lessons and debates.
Skills are planned for in our progression document, which ensures that children have the opportunity to revise and build upon previously acquired knowledge. Our lessons are relevant and engaging, which helps children to embed and memorize learning.
This is done via:
• Current events and affairs
• Building up children’s understanding of their place in the world by exploring the local environment
• Planning for trips and visitors to enhance the learning experience of the children